Dentures are a set of prosthetic teeth that are used to replace missing ones. When you have just a few missing teeth, then dental implants or bridges would be the apt solution. But, dentures are the most sought-after tooth replacement solution when you have several missing teeth. Dr. McGraw would conduct a thorough diagnosis of your mouth and determine which option would suit you the best.
What are dentures made from?
Dentures fill in for both the teeth and the gum tissues. Hence, they are made of ceramic and acrylic. Tooth-colored ceramic material is used to fabricate the tooth crowns and acrylic material is used to act as the gums. This way, it forms a wholesome tooth replacement solution that is aesthetically pleasing and functionally effective.
Why is replacing the teeth vital?
- The teeth form an integral part of our everyday lives and losing them can affect various activities such as biting, chewing, smiling, phonetics, etc.
- The aesthetics of the face would change when a few teeth are extracted. The face and jaws would look shrunken.
- Losing teeth would leave a gap in the jawbone. The remaining teeth would be able to drift from their positions, which could affect the facial shape and the bite of the patient.
- The jawbone would slowly start to deteriorate and shrink.
- When you bite and chew food like you always do, excessive and unequal pressure will be applied on certain teeth, which can cause toothache, pain in the jaws, TMJ disorder, etc.
What are the types of dentures?
Partial dentures:These types of dentures are used when the patient still has a few teeth remaining but has lost a significant number of them to issues such as cavities, infections, external trauma, etc. The dentures would be fabricated around a metal framework and would only fill the specific gaps left by the missing teeth.
Complete dentures:These dentures replace every single tooth in the mouth. They would be fabricated to perfectly mimic the teeth from both the jaws and would offer perfect fit and comfort. In case you need the remaining teeth to be extracted, we can do that and then fabricated the dentures.
Implant-supported dentures: These dentures would comfortably fit over dental implants that are fitted to the jawbone. They offer excellent stability and wouldn’t slip off when you’re chewing food or talking. They can be removed like regular dentures and put back on easily. The dentures have slots in them where the implants fit and lock themselves in position.
Advantages of choosing dentures
- Dentures are removable oral appliances. They can be taken off whenever you have to sleep, clean your mouth, or simply when you need a break from them.
- The appearance of the restorations can be customized as required.
- They comfortably fit over the gums and help you bite and chew food.
- They give the face a fuller look and make you seem younger.
Schedule an online appointment or call us at (831) 438-1861 to have a consultation with Dr. McGraw and we’ll be able to guide you further.